1. Dont be scared. Have faith in yourself.
2. Do not skate on rocky places.
3. Use a lot of obstacles and ramps to practice on.
4. Don't be afraid to get hurt. Be prepared, have a helmet and pads on.
5. Bring your board everywhere you might need it.
6. If you can do the trick, DO IT.
** When you do a trick, you have to move your feet a lot. Keep your arms away from your eyes, because you don't want to block your vision. **
What you need to skate
First, get a board that fits your personality. When you get it, try standing on it without falling. Make sure it is not moving when you stand on it because you could fall off. Now try to push off. Next, learn to turn. It's easy just shift your weight to the other side. Try tricks when you are ready.